Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Breastfeeding 101

As I close out the chapter of breastfeeding, I wanted to write this for my friends who are having babies and for when I have my next baby (don't worry...nothing too graphic here):
1. The first 8 weeks suck! It hurts, you don't exactly know what you are doing, and your husband can't help. Keep pushing through...it will get better and it is TOTALLY worth it!
2. Do not be scared of your pump! It is your friend. Do not be scared about if you pump and your baby gets hungry...your boobs are smart and they are never empty.
3. Your boobs are smart! (yes, boys, they are smart). Your boobs know when to produce milk, how much, and how much fat/protein/ vitamins the baby needs.You can not overfeed a child either when breastfeeding. They are a guaranteed way to soothe your child! I think that is pretty smart....
4. Ask your husband for help. Even if he just changes the diaper and hands him off to you to feed. Sometimes you can feed and have him rock the baby to sleep. It is a mothers instinct to care for the child, but you need a break or you will go insane and it is great bonding time for the dad!
5. Don't be embarrassed to use the ta-tas in public (to an extent, and with a cover-up on)... I am very shy and did not want to breast feed in public. However, there came a time when I was stuck somewhere, child screaming, and no other place to go. You do what you have to do for your child, that is why they call you a mother. I found a balance where I only fed in public if it was absolutely necessary, I did feed the baby around family and friends if they were comfortable wit it (I always asked first and covered myself up).
6. Dont feed the baby in bed (I know A LOT of people will disagree wit this...) here is the deal. I always fed Ben in his rocking chair at night, then when I put him down he knew it was sleep time. Then one day I started feeding him in bed with me. He thought this meant I was like McDonalds, you know, open all night.Even though it took a lot of effort and will power to get up, I got so much more sleep getting up with him and he didn't get confused, bed is for sleeping.
7. Use the lactation consultants and any friends you know that have breastfed. This does not come naturally and you will inevitably have some questions. Sometimes you may need to vent about how much it hurts or how you are up every hour feeding the baby...call me or someone who has bf before...believe me they will understand!
8.Do not let anyone guilt you for breastfeeding or for stopping at whatever time you choose to. We all know the recommendation of 1 year, however, you have to do what is right for you and your child. No one should influence your choice, because I am sure as mom you are going to do what is best for your child. Take pride in your decisions to breastfeed at all, and take pride in how long you do it because some breastmilk is better than none at all
9. Breastfeeding is an AMAZING experience. You get to spend quiet time with your child. Relax and enjoy every moment of it...they wont be little for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment