Monday, March 21, 2011

Breastfeeding Vs. Formula Feeding

*Warning-this post is very personal.

Jeremy and I have been having many discussions on the benefits of breast vs. bottle feeding. As many of you know, we chose to breastfeed Bentley. This discussion has been happening because I have had several health problems that have made me question my commitment to breastfeeding. I have an infection in one of my breast that is extremely painful and has reduced my milk supply (leaving the baby crying for more food after I feed him). This has caused many sleepless nights for both Jeremy and I. Then, last night we were in the emergency room because I was having severe stomach and back pain. They ran several test but the results were inconclusive, due to enzyme levels they think I need to have my gallbladder out. All of these things put a lot of stress on my body and paired with no sleep leave me wondering should I continue?

Here are the pros and cons of breastfeeding that we have come up with. The pros are quiet obvious. Breastfeeding is very healthy for the baby and myself. It does not cost anything to breastfeed either. There are several cons as well (which we did not even consider before starting to breastfeed). Breastfeeding is very hard on my body at this point, it is also hard on me because Jeremy cannot help out with feeding or getting the baby to sleep at nights. We have to plan carefully in order to go out anywhere as I am having to think about do they have a place I can feed the baby (I am not quiet comfortable with just whipping it out anywhere like some women). When we are with friends and family I have to leave the room and be gone for an hour (not very social and I end up feeling lonely). All in all I feel tremendous pressure because the feeding is all up to me…I cant get help, can’t always go lay down when I need to “rest”, and can’t leave little man without preplanning in advanced (we learned this when I was in the ER).

Pros and cons for bottle feeding are numerous too. There are many pro’s that allow me to have help. Jeremy is able to feed the baby as well (and that would allow some bonding time for them). If Jeremy and I need to go somewhere in a hurry we don’t have to worry about do when have enough milk stored/saved. We can feed the baby anywhere at any time. At times I do have to remind myself if we do switch to formula the baby will still be getting food and will still be healthy. Basically bottle feeding is the easy way out that would leave me feeling like I have help and the pressure isn’t all on me all the time (which in the middle of the night, the pro’s sound pretty good). The cons though to me are scary on this one. Bottle feeding is not as healthy for the baby. I worry about overfeeding the baby with bottle feeding. I would have a lot more dishes to do. Bottle feeding is more expensive.

This is such a serious decision for Jeremy and I and one we are stressing over. Anyone with personal experience that want to help us please send me a message. We would love to hear your pro’s/con’s of breast and bottle feeding and if you breastfed how long you breastfed for?

3 comments:

  1. Heather, wow! Nursing is hard the first few weeks. I nursed audrey, in fact, I am still nursing her in the morning and before bed. I have loved breastfeeding but I know it can be tough at times. for me, the first 2 months were hard. Give yourself some time! You will learn and become a nursing pro soon. I had a breast infection at one point too (most women do), and the best thing is to keep nursing on that side...if he doesn't empty you, pump when he's finished to get the rest of the milk out. when in doubt, pump it out! motto to live by!:) when you stay full for too long is when you get blocked milk ducts and infections. So if he doesn't empty you out after a feeding, pump and freeze the milk, then you will also have some milk there at your house for an emergency when mama needs to be away from her boy! Warm rice bags also help...place them on your breast before a feeding and it will help you let down that duct that is blocked or too full. Nursing is a special thing and it's something only YOU can do for and with him. I alays loved that! THat seems like a deal breaker now, when you need help at night, but hang in there, that won't last foever and the longer you nurse the better you will be at it. Another tip, before you lay him down at night, try to get him to take a FULL feeding. Even if you ahve to wake him up a little to get him to take the full feeding. it will keep him fuller longer and help him sleep longer and go a little longer before he wakes to nurse again. Also, when he's sick, nursing is SO good for him, it will help him get better faster and provide him with comfort nothing else will. If you don't already have one, get a hooter hider! they cover you great and will help you feel more confident feeding him in public! Nobody can see anything, and people always look away anyway, b/c they know what you're doing and want to give you some privacy. the more skilled you and bentley both become at nursing, the more comfortable you will be with doing it in public. PLus, he will soon become a faster eater, adn it won't take an hour!:) Hang in there, and feel free to call me if you need to talk, my nursing friends were my BEST resource!!! You're doing an AWESOME thing for you boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather - it sounds like in the post you've made up your mind about what you want to do. You need to do what's best for you. I had trouble the first bit when my milk came in with Caroline. She wouldn't nurse and I may have been engorged. Brandon and I both took a breastfeeding class, but hard to really understand any of it until youre there. It is key to have a pump. If you feel knots, even after he eats, you need to pump. Bentley will get what he needs because as he feeds, you will produce. I had to pump for a few days as she got accustomed to the milk too. I'm still learning myself, but just some things I picked up from my mom and sister who both breastfed. If you need to, call Lewis-Gale nursery - I already have. They are great and the lactation consultants are amazing. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather- Thank you for the response. Yes, the lactation consultants have been wonderful (I have called them sometimes two times a day). I went in yesterday and they were very encouraging. The only way I will stop is if I have to have my gallbladder taken out and I am forced to. I hope things are going well for you and you are getting some sleep at nights!

    ReplyDelete